Saturday, May 5, 2012

Wicked Problem Project


I had two problems that I was trying to solve.  First, I wanted students to be able to work collaboratively and paperlessly.  Second, I wanted teachers to become more organized, so they can focus on teaching and not on finding papers or assignments.

My solution for both of these problems could be solved using Google applications.  Specifically, Google Docs, Presentations, and Forms.  

Google apps is a great choice for technology because everything is stored online.  Students and teachers alike will no longer have to search for that elusive flash drive or worksheet.  Students can work at their own pace on various assignments which is different for most teachers.  Sometimes students were "left behind" because they didn't understand a concept. The technology will change the way I can present information to students which should help them be more successful.  
For technology and content, I think using Google apps will be brilliant.  Presentations could be made with voiceovers and videos, so students will have options on how they receive information.  Perhaps one student wants to listen to a podcast, while another wants to read the information.  They'll have this choice because as the teacher, I will be able to create presentations that can link to separate options.
Finally, for pedagogy and content, I think Google can help me do a lot more one on one interactions in the class.  Since students will be able to work at their own pace and get more help if needed, they will be more successful.  The content will be able to be presented in various ways, and students could view things that, maybe, my school doesn't have access to, like specimen for dissecting.  Students could still experience a dissection even though I don't have the proper supplies.  Abstract concepts could be presented in three-dimensional videos (the way they should be), so students could visualize.  I could also use Google apps to create vocabulary flash cards or presentations that could be used by students as well.  My classroom will be more organized if I used forms to organize assignments, so I'd have more time to work with individual students.

My students would get feedback more quickly, so they wouldn't have to wait days (days when they're probably forgetting what they learned) to get help if they're struggling.  When I'm more organized, I can give that individual time that they need or the explanation they may need help with or the demonstration of a concept which helps my students learn and retain more.  They love to work on the computers, so I feel as though I'd have a more positive learning atmosphere, and happier students, and when students are happy, they learn more!





Unable to display content. Adobe Flash is required.

No comments:

Post a Comment